Sunday 26 June 2011

Losing Faith

Georg Christoph Lichtenberg once said 'The most dangerous untruths are truths moderately distorted'.
In the last few months I've had my faith in kindness and honesty well and truly tested.  I've had friends who have shared a secret you asked them to keep, colleagues who have stolen ideas, men who have lied about who they are and others have been willing to cheat on their girlfriends, the people they are meant to care about, look after and protect if I l gave them the all clear.

What is it that makes us all so incapable of demonstrating the ideals we look for in others?  

I'm sure none of us wake up in the morning thinking 'today I'm going to be a shit to someone I'm meant to care about' and yet still, day after day, week after week, hour after hour you find yourself surrounded by people who do nothing but crush your faith in humanity.

I'm not innocent of the crime of lying, in fact, if you were to show me a man/woman who had never told a lie, I would show you a liar; but why is it that of late it seems that everyone around me seems to be living in a world of dis-truth.  Have we all forgotten how to tell the truth, or is admitting it just too difficult?

I think its time for an experiment.  For the next week I am not going to do or say anything that isn't 100% accurate.  No white lies, no omissions, no deflecting and no avoidance.  If someone asks me a question, I am going to give them an answer and shoot it to them straight.  Surely it can't be that difficult to tackle everything head on?

PS: The dinner party went well last night, the drinks flowed, the food was appreciated, the conversation was on top form and I laughed more than I have for a long time.  Definately a win.


-------------------------
Eminem Ft. Rhianna - Love The Way You Lie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelHwf8o7_U

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget