Friday 30 September 2011

Taxed to Death

Today is council tax day... Due to things being a bit crazy with Uni last month and this month I've had to pay council tax on my flat and all I can say is HURRAH for me being exempt next month.

It is crazy insane how much council tax is, especially if you live on your own.  I pay almost a 3rd of my rent again on council tax and that is after the 25% single persons discount.  I don't even really know what council tax goes on. I'm not the most politically minded blogger (unlike some I know).  I know we are taking refuse collection, parks, street cleaning but come on... surely that doesn't all add up to a 3rd of my rent all over again.

I don't mind my income based tax, I don't even really have qualms with tax on luxury purchases such as cars, booze etc.  but to tax the ass out of me in this way never fails to irk me.  *sigh.

I was reading in the times yesterday that Britain has fallen from grace and is now polled as the 'worst place to live in europe' looking at taxes, holiday time, working hours, cost of living and you know what... I can believe it.  The Irish pay almost £6 a pint and not even they get shafted the same way we do with council tax.  Saying that, apparently France is 'the place to be' and I'm not sure I agree with that either.

More money for living and less money taken in ways that don't assess income is what I say.  My outgoings this month before any cash can be spared for fun things like ohhhh I don't know... food!  Is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat and in relation to many other people I'm pretty fortunate in that I have a decent job all be it part time.


It may not be Rex Manning day people but all I have to say is 'Damn the Man, Save the Empire'


--------------------------
Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RojRPQq2-Q


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget