Tuesday 6 March 2012

21st Century Girl


I am truly turning into a 21st century girl.  I honestly don't know where I would be without my gadgets!  I've a high spec laptop, an ultra smart phone (well two actually, one of my own and a business use iPhone4s also, I've iPods and docking stations, an Xbox, a heart rate and blood pressure monitor, electric weighing scales, a microwave, freeview, a raspberry pi, a monitor that tells me how much electricity I am using, an array of memory sticks and hard drives and of course the essential gadget for all 21st century girls... a vibrator.  I would be completely and utterly lost without electricity.

I remember when I was younger and our washing machine constituted of a massive twin tub machine that was 1 part electricity and 1 part manual labour, it took up a huge chunk of the space in the kitchen and practically took off when you were spinning your clothes out.  These days I pour in the liquid, press a button and 30mins later have clean and spun out clothes.

Similarly I remember when I used to wait almost an hour for my computer game to load.  I have a commodore 64 with a tape deck and it was so temperamental that often you would have to load a game a few times in order for the system to load - having friends round to play sometimes had to be planned a day in advance.

I genuinely think that the biggest jump however is that of the mobile phone.  When I was in my teens I would rush home from school and stretch the chord from the house phone along the hall and into one of the bedrooms to talk to my friends.  Nobody had a mobile phone until I was maybe 17 and even then it was only the 'poncy kids', a few had pagers which always amused me.  I on the other hand had a snazzy card that allowed me to go to any payphone in the UK, type in a few digits and then a code before allowing me to make a call to my house phone and my house phone alone so I could check in with my folks if needed.  These days I don't even have to pick up my phone, I just click a button on my headset say the magic words 'call mum' and a couple of seconds later I'm chatting away.

Anyway speaking of gadgets I've added a cute lil one of my own to the blog... a fuzzy blue twitter bird (he should be flying around the page as you read if you are logged in from a pc).  When he lands if you click on him he will take you to my twitter page where you can click follow and have my blog ping to your phone every time it has a new posting - happy days.

---------------------
Feeder - Just The Way I'm Feeling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgC9P-XECrw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget